This module builds on knowledge from biosciences and nursing sciences and is designed to enable the learner analyse common chronic health conditions of adults. It provides a foundation in advanced nursing care of common chronic health conditions and applications of evidence-based practice to restore function, promote wellness and enhance self-care capacity. Emphasis is placed on advanced health assessment, pathophysiology, pharmacology and comprehensive nursing management.
Upon completion of this module, the students should be able to:
- Analyse the role of the advanced practice nurse in the management of chronic conditions.
- Evaluate the role of multi-sectoral teams in the management of chronic conditions.
- Analyse policies, guidelines, protocols and standards influencing care of chronically ill patients.
- Analyse current trends and issues in care of the chronically ill patient.
- Articulate holistic and family centered approach in management of patients with chronic conditions.
- Evaluate management of patients/clients with common chronic conditions.
- Analyse the interrelationship of chronic conditions and the impact of co-morbidity on health.
- Critique evidence based literature for common chronic conditions.