This module builds on students’ previous knowledge in anatomy and physiology of obstetrics, and basic midwifery. The module provides in-depth knowledge of advanced physiology and midwifery practice. Emphasis is placed on the students’ ability to interpret the physiological and pathophysiological changes for advanced midwifery practice.
Upon completion of this module learners shall be able to:
- critically analyze the advanced midwifery role;
- evaluate international and national initiatives in midwifery that addressmaternal and child health care;
- analyze current trends and issues in midwifery care;
- analyze policies, protocols, guidelines and standards influencing midwifery care;
- Discuss the processes and determinants of conception, genetics, embryonic and fetal development;
- Analyze the physiological and pathophysiological processes of pregnancy, labor, and the pueperium;
- Analyze management of clients during the preconceptual period, pregnancy, labour, and the pueperium.